Court drops fugitive Djoko Tjandra’s case review plea after consecutive no shows

first_imgThe South Jakarta District Court has dropped a case review petition filed by graft fugitive Djoko Soegiarto Tjandra against his guilty conviction after he repeatedly failed to show up for the hearings.The court announced the decision hours before the National Police brought the fugitive, who had been on the run for 11 years, back to Indonesia following an arrest in Malaysia on Thursday.Suharno, the court’s spokesperson, said that the panel of judges handling the case had issued the ruling on Tuesday and had notified the prosecutors, Djoko and his legal team about the decision. With his absence, the court said, Djoko had violated Supreme Court Circular No.1/2012 stipulating that case review requests submitted by lawyers without the convict present shall not be accepted.In 2009, the Supreme Court sentenced Djoko to two years imprisonment and ordered him to pay more than Rp 546 billion (US$54 million) in restitution for his involvement in the high-profile Bank Bali corruption case. However, he fled to Papua New Guinea a day before the court ruling and remained at large for years.Djoko’s lawyers had demanded the case review hearings be conducted online due to what they said was the convict’s bad health condition. Prosecutors, however, rejected the demand, citing the abovementioned Supreme Court circular.Tama S. Langkun, a researcher from Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW), applauded the court’s decision to drop the case review plea, adding that the convict did not deserve a review as he had escaped to avoid serving his sentence.”However, the case is not over as the convict has not served his sentence yet,” Tama told the Post on Thursday. “We hope that there will be an attempt to catch [Djoko] and force him to fulfill his obligations according to the court’s ruling.”Topics : “The ruling states that the request for a case review from the applicant or convict Djoko Soegiarto Tjandra cannot be accepted and the case dossier will not be forwarded to the Supreme Court,” Suharno told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.Suharno said the court could not accept the plea as Djoko — who had filed the request for the case review in early June — had failed to show up for the hearing for the case review.Read also: Fugitive Djoko Tjandra skips another hearing, reportedly residing in MalaysiaThe court had previously summoned Djoko four times, but he reportedly claimed he could not attend due to poor health.last_img read more

Read More →

U.P. Congress issues notices to 11 veterans for opposing revamp

first_imgThe Congress on Thursday served notices to 11 leaders in Uttar Pradesh for “unnecessarily opposing” the party over the revamp of Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee (UPCC) in October. The sharply-worded notice asked them to reply to the charges against them within 24 hours. A U.P. Congress press release said the notices were sent by the State unit’s disciplinary committee on the instructions of Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, who is the general secretary in charge of Uttar Pradesh (East), and UPCC chief Ajay Kumar Lallu. They were served notices in view of their acts of indiscipline, it said. The 11 leaders are mostly old-timers, disgruntled after the reorganisation of the UPCC on October 7 when Mr. Lallu replaced Raj Babbar as the State unit’s president. They include an AICC member, former Ministers, a district unit chief and one-time MLAs. “It has come to the notice of the disciplinary committee through newspapers that you have been continuously and unnecessarily opposing the AICC decisions concerning the UPCC publicly by holding meetings,” the notice said. “Through these meetings and statements in the media, the image of the Congress party has been tarnished. This was not expected from senior leaders like you,” it added. “This behaviour of yours is against the policies and ideas of the party .These actions come under the ambit of indiscipline. You have been given 24 hours time to give your clarification as to why disciplinary action should not be taken against you,” it said. Earlier, All India Congress Committee secretary Dhiraj Gurjar said in New Delhi that the party will take action if there is indiscipline, whatever the seniority of the Congress member. The move comes after the absence of several party veterans from two recent meetings called by the UPCC chief in Lucknow.Move to meet Sonia Instead, the disgruntled veterans have been holding their own meetings. They had also planned to meet party president Sonia Gandhi as a delegation to voice their grievances. Those served notices include former MP Santosh Singh, former MLC Siraj Mehdi, former Ministers Ram Krishna Dwivedi and Satyadev Tripathi and AICC member Rajendra Singh Solanki.last_img read more

Read More →

Video: UNC’s Kennedy Meeks Nails Ridiculous Trick Shot At Shoot-Around

first_imgKennedy Meeks Trick Shot.Meeks Trick ShotUNC junior big man Kennedy Meeks takes most of his shots close to the rim during games, but apparently he can extend his range during shoot-around. As the Heels got a feel for NRG Stadium during a quick workout today before tonight’s national semifinal, Meeks stepped beyond the court and drilled a shot from beyond the scorer’s table.In this video, you can’t see Meeks until he steps back inbounds, but you can see the shot as it gets launched and as it goes in. You then hear the reaction of his teammates.Range! @kennedymeeks3 bucket from behind the scorer’s table. #HeelsLockIn #FinalFour pic.twitter.com/cFHcrGDeLV— Carolina Basketball (@UNC_Basketball) April 2, 2016North Carolina and Syracuse play for the right to reach the national championship game at 8:49 p.m. ET on TBS.last_img read more

Read More →

US proposes higher tax on 200 billion in Chinese imports

first_imgWASHINGTON – The Trump administration is proposing raising planned taxes on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports to 25 per cent from 10 per cent, turning up the pressure on Beijing in a trade war between the world’s two biggest economies.The United States has already imposed 25 per cent tariffs on $34 billion in Chinese imports and is readying 25 per cent tariffs on another $16 billion worth to punish China for allegedly using predatory tactics to obtain U.S. technology. The Chinese have retaliated in kind.Last month, the U.S. proposed 10 per cent tariffs on another $200 billion in Chinese products — from parachutes to sardines — in response to China’s retaliation. But President Donald Trump now wants U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to consider more than doubling those tariffs to 25 per cent. The government will seek public comment on the higher tariffs. A hearing on the levies is scheduled for Aug. 20-23.“The Trump Administration continues to urge China to stop its unfair practices, open its market and engage in true market competition,” Lighthizer said Wednesday, adding that, “Regrettably, instead of changing its harmful behaviour, China has illegally retaliated against U.S. workers, farmers, ranchers and businesses.”Reacting to media reports that the higher tariffs were coming, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang warned that Beijing will “definitely fight back” to defend its “lawful rights and interests.” He gave no details of possible retaliatory measures.Trump has threatened to escalate the conflict even more by taxing virtually all of the $500 billion worth of goods China ships annually to the United States.“The president is going to continue to hold China responsible for their unfair trade practices,” said White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. “This has gone on for long enough and he’s going to do something about it.”But Trump’s tariffs have drawn criticism at home in the United States for driving up costs for consumers and companies that rely on Chinese imports.“We said before that this round of tariffs amounted to doubling down on the recklessness of imposing trade policy that will hurt U.S. families and workers more than they will hurt China,” said Matthew Shay, president of the National Retail Federation. “Increasing the size of the tariffs is merely increasing the harm that will be done. “Mickey Kantor, who was U.S. trade representative under President Bill Clinton, warned that a trade war with China will take a toll on a U.S. healthy economy that from April through June registered the fastest growth since 2014.“Our economy is in terrific shape,” said Kantor, now a partner at the Mayer Brown law firm. “Why in the world would you do this? It makes no sense. We don’t need it. It will cost us jobs and investment. It will slow the economy.”___Associated Press Writer Ken Thomas contributed to this report..last_img read more

Read More →

SC Collegium recommends names for appointment as chief justices of 4 HCs

first_imgNew Delhi: The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended names of four high court judges for their appointment as chief justices of the high courts of Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Telangana.As per May 10 resolutions uploaded on the apex court website, a three-member Collegium, headed by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, recommended to the Centre the name of Justice D N Patel for his appointment as the chief justice of Delhi High Court. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghSimilarly, the Collegium has recommended names of Justices A A Kureshi, V Ramasubramanian and R S Chauhan for their appointment as chief justices of high courts of Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Telangana respectively. “Office of the Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court would be falling vacant very shortly, consequent upon retirement of Justice Rajendra Menon, chief justice of that high court. Therefore, appointment to that office is required to be made,” the Collegium, also comprising Justices S A Bobde and N V Ramana, said. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroad”Justice D N Patel is a senior puisne Judge from Gujarat High Court and at present is functioning, on transfer, in Jharkhand High Court. Having regard to all relevant factors, the Collegium is of the considered view that Justice D N Patel is suitable in all respects for being appointed as chief justice of the Delhi High Court,” the resolution said. Recommending the name of Justice Ramasubramanian for appointment as chief justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court, the Collegium said it has taken into consideration the fact that at present there is only one chief justice from Madras High Court. “Justice V Ramasubramanian is the senior-most judge from Madras High Court and at present is functioning, on transfer, in Telangana High Court. Having regard to all relevant factors, the Collegium is of the considered view that Justice V Ramasubramanian is suitable in all respects for being appointed as chief justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court,” the resolution said. Regarding Justice Kureshi, the Collegium said he is the senior-most judge from the Gujarat High Court and at present is functioning, on transfer, in the Bombay High Court. “Office of the Chief Justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court would be falling vacant, very shortly, consequent upon retirement of Justice S K Seth, chief justice of that high court. Therefore, appointment to that office is required to be made,” it said. The Collegium resolution said that Justice Chauhan is the senior-most judge from Rajasthan High Court and at present is functioning in Telangana High Court as acting chief justice. “Office of the Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court, which has recently been constituted as separate high court for the state of Telangana, has been lying vacant for some time. Therefore, appointment to that office is required to be made,” it said. Besides them, the Collegium has also recommended the names of two advocates, Vishal Dhagat and Vishal Mishra, for appointment as judges at the Madhya Pradesh High Court. It dealt with the file relating to proposal for appointment of five advocates as judges of the Madhya Pradesh High Court. “For purpose of assessing merit and suitability of the above-named recommendees for elevation to the high court, we have carefully scrutinized the material on record including the observations made by the Department of Justice as well as certain complaints, placed before us. Apart from this, the Collegium had an interaction with all the recommendees on April 1, 2019,” the resolution said.last_img read more

Read More →

France wont take it easy against Denmark – Van Marwijk

first_imgAustralia manager Bert van Marwijk has dismissed suggestions that France may field a weaker side in their final group game against Denmark due to the fact they have already secured their place in the knockout roundsThe Socceroos need to beat Peru in today’s encounter and hope that France manages to secure a win against Denmark to reach the last 16.Australia must also ensure that they better the Danes’ goal difference or goals scored record in the Group C table.Anything less from France will end Australia’s hopes of reaching the knockout stages for the first time since 2006, but Van Marwijk is confident that Didier Deschamps side will be determined to win.“The players of France also have their own pride,” said the Dutchman, according to SBS.“They have won twice (against Australia and Peru) but they didn’t play well, and they want to prove to the whole world they are one of the best teams.“I believe they will do their utmost to show that.”Euro 2020Report: Euro 2020 qualifying Group H George Patchias – September 11, 2019 Euro 2020 qualifying Group H is being controlled by France and Turkey, but Iceland is still in with a shout.Reigning world champions France ran…The 66-year-old will not be abandoning his principles for the crucial encounter in what may be his final game in charge of Australia.“It’s very important in all the games that you are yourself,” he said.“I think against this opponent it’s even more so. I told them just at a meeting …the way we play and the way we want to play.“The opponent is an emotional team so you can expect everything. We have to trust our way of playing.“I think that’s the key so there is nothing to do with forcing some things … only in the second half, and it depends on how the situation is.“You must have the body language and confidence and be 100 per cent concentrated.”The match will take place at the Fisht Olympic Stadium at 16:00 (GMT +2).last_img read more

Read More →

Andre Silva on Ronaldo comparisons Im not anyones heir

first_imgSevilla striker Andre Silva insists that he does not see himself as Cristiano Ronaldo’s successorThe 22-year-old had been named by Ronaldo in 2017 as the man that will likely succeed him as Portugal’s new main man.“When I retire, Portugal will be in good hands because they have already found a great striker: Andre Silva,” Ronaldo told Gazzetta dello Sport.But Silva insists that replacing Ronaldo is not on the agenda and he instead intends to focus on himself.“I’m not anyone’s heir,” he told Calciomercato. “Cristiano is Cristiano. Everyone dreams of matching him, but I have a long way to go.“Cristiano Ronaldo is a legend and I want to follow in his footsteps – but as Andre Silva.”David Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.Following a disappointing year at AC Milan, Silva has had a remarkable turnaround in form on loan at Sevilla this season with a chart-topping seven goals in as many games.Last season at Milan, Silva managed just two goals in 24 Serie A appearances.The young striker spoke of his disbelief at how well he has done at Sevilla with Silva now a surprise favourite for the Pichichi award in La Liga.🤙 Say hello to @LaLigaEN’s top goalscorer 🤙 pic.twitter.com/lk9f93jZVB— Sevilla FC (@SevillaFC_ENG) September 30, 2018last_img read more

Read More →

McCarthy tips Declan Rice as future Ireland captain

first_imgRepublic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy says Declan Rice has the quality to be the national team’s captain and has promised to build the team around the teenager.Rice has already received his Republic of Ireland cap under former boss Martin O’Neill, but the 19-year-old is still considering whether he wants to play for England instead.McCarthy revealed that he has spoken with the player and wants to make him an integral part of the Republic of Ireland team.“I had a really good meeting with him,” McCarthy told Sky Sports.“There was myself, [assistant manager] Robbie [Keane], Declan and his dad and it is just up to him what he wants to decide – that’s how I’ve left it.“It’s not my decision as to whether he plays for the Republic of Ireland, it’s my job – if he decides that he wants to stay with us – to pick him.Mason MountRice tips Mount for greater things Taimoor Khan – September 11, 2019 Declan Rice says that Mason Mount is going to match the exploits of Frank Lampard when he was in his prime during his playing…“I think he’s a really talented player. I thought he was a lovely lad, he’s got a really nice family behind him and he has everything about him that makes you want him to play for you. That’s still my case, I want him to play for us.“I’d love to build a team around him. We start in March and that’s my deadline I guess, I need to know by then.“I’d like to build a team around him and he could be a future captain – he’s that type of player.”last_img read more

Read More →

Nikiski Fire Department Is Working To Rebuild Its Ice Diving Program

first_imgStephen Robertson with the Nikiski Fire Department and owner and operator of Aquatic Adventures in Nikiski: “Nikiski has been actively rebuilding our dive program for emergency response, so this is the first year we have done ice diving.”The training spans over three days, and is being administered by a well known ice diver in Alaska, Mitch Osborne, from Test the Water in North Pole. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Nikiski Fire Department is currently undergoing PADI ice diver training through Aquatic Adventures in Nikiksi. Story as aired: Audio PlayerJennifer-on-Nikiski-Ice-Dive.mp3VmJennifer-on-Nikiski-Ice-Dive.mp300:00RPd According to Robertson after this year NFD will conduct quarterly dives for normal training, and ice dives at least once a year in order to remain efficient and prepared for ice related incidents.last_img read more

Read More →

3 Friends Dog Park Celebrates One Year With New Benches

first_imgVolunteers from the Kenai Peninsula realtors Association, Soldotna Rotary, Homer Electric, and the city parks and recreation department came together to build the benches. 3 Friends Dog Park opened in September 2017, and sits on about two acres of land behind Jo-Ann Fabric, off Aspen Drive. The funding for the benches was donated by Kelly Griebel of Century 21 as well as Alaska 1st Real Estate, each donated $750. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Friends of the Aspen Dog Park (3 Friends Dog Park) is celebrating it’s one year anniversary with a much needed addition to the park, new benches. The park features an exterior fence with a surrounding trail to create a safe environment for the dogs to be off leash. Dale Bagley, one of the volunteers who helped build the gazebo where the new benches are located: “We did this multi-tier gazebo here, and this thing is huge with multi-levels. Now we are working on the seating in there so people have a good place to sit and watch their dogs play.”  Other features in the park include a memorial wall, agility equipment, in-park adoptions, and other features to benefit the canine residents of Soldotna.last_img read more

Read More →