USCG GoM Oil Spill Surpasses Initial Estimates

first_imgzoom The amount of oil spilled in the Gulf of Mexico a week ago may be around 16,000 barrels, almost double from the initial estimates, according to the United States Coast Guard.The offshore oil and gas operator LLOG Exploration Offshore earlier informed that the oil released from a damaged pipeline at the Delta House floating production facility was estimated in the amount of some 7,950 to 9,350 barrels.The USCG and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) have been coordinating with the responsible party and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to locate and respond to any oil that reaches the surface.Multiple daily over flights and remotely operated underwater vehicle inspections have been conducted with no recoverable oil detected.Skimming vessels from Clean Gulf Associates and the Marine Spill Response Corporation also remain on standby.USCG informed that surface and subsea trajectory models calculated by the responsible party and NOAA indicate that any discharged oil will drift in a southwesterly direction and is not expected to impact the shoreline.Calculations indicate that the discovery of any recoverable oil is unlikely due to the depth and pressure at which the oil was released.The oil was discharged from a small crack in a pipeline that was pressurized to more than 3,000 psi and located some 5,000 feet under water, 40 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana. This high-pressure discharge through a small opening likely caused the oil to be broken down into small particles and disperse into deep-water currents prior to reaching the surface.Water samples taken along the trajectory path at various depths have not detected the presence of oil, USCG confirmed.“While the reported discharge amount is very significant, we are confident in the calculations completed by the LLOG and NOAA scientists,” said Cmdr. Heather Mattern from US Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit Morgan City, Louisiana. “Additionally, the lack of any recoverable oil identified by over flights and subsea inspections conducted throughout the past week supports this explanation,” Mattern added.The flowline release began in the morning hours of October 11 from a fracture in a jumper pipe leading from Mississippi Canyon Block 209, Well No. 1 to a manifold located on the seafloor.Once identified, the pipeline leak was isolated and stopped on Thursday morning, however, the incident was said to be the largest oil spill in the US since the 2010 Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, Bloomberg earlier reported. The cause of the incident is under investigation.last_img read more

Read More →

People on the Move 071510

first_imgFormer New York Observer editor Peter W. Kaplan has been named editorial director at Condé Nast’s Fairchild Fashion Group. Most recently, Kaplan served as editorial creative director at Condé Nast Traveler, a title he held since leaver the Observer in 2009.Ziff Davis Enterprise appointed Jeff Strief president of Enterprise Business, replacing Dave Colford, who has left the company. Strief previously has held executive-level positions at Icarus Studios, Vivendi Universal Interactive and CMP Media (UBM).Time Inc.’s Fortune announced a number of personnel changes: former Roll Call staff writer Tory Newmyer joined the magazine as a writer, Bill Powell was promoted to editor-at-large, Jessei Hempel was promoted to senior writer and Doris Burke was promoted to senior research editor. Meredith Corp. named Laura Kalehoff executive editor of American Baby magazine. Most recently, Kalehoff served as senior editor at Self.Johnnie Roberts has joined Hollywood trade news site TheWrap as editor-at-large. Previously, Roberts served as senior writer at Newsweek.New York magazine named Amy Larocca fashion director. Previously, Larocca served as a contributing editor writing primarily about fashion.Julia Fry was named advertising director at Details magazine. Fry most recently served as advertising manager at Harper’s Bazaar.Future US promoted John Gower to vice president of Future Plus, the company’s custom publishing division. Previously, Gower served as the group’s director.Condé Nast appointed Laura Frerer-Schmidt associate publisher of advertising at Self. Previously, Laura Frerer-Schmidt served as international advertising director at W magazine. Her appointment is effective July 28.Digital luxury lifestyle magazine for women VIVmag named Adrienne Wallace vice president of brand marketing. Most recently, Wallace served as executive director and CEO of Girls Inc. of Southwestern Connecticut. Before that she served as senior marketing manager of new business development and strategic partnerships at Time Warner.last_img read more

Read More →

Why Vijay Sethupathis Sindhubaadh is facing uncertainty over its release

first_imgVijay Sethupathi in Sindhubaadh.PR HandoutUncertainty has loomed over the release of Vijay Sethupathi’s latest movie Sindhubaadh, which is scheduled to hit the screens on Friday, 21 June. The less promotions and delay in advance booking in many theatres have cast doubts over its release on the said date.Here is why Sindhubaadh is facing uncertainty over its release Baahubali producer Shobu Yarlagadda has brought a stay on Sindhubaadh release from Telangana High Court in May. As per his petition, SN Rajarajan, the producer of Vijay Sethupathi film had gone into an agreement with the former over the Tamil Nadu theatrical rights of Baahubali.As per the deal, SN Rajarajan was supposed to be pay Rs 28 crore, but paid Rs 12.5 crore and failed to clear the remaining amount, forcing the Baahubali producer to seek the court’s intervention in the issue. The next hearing seems to be on 24 June and both the parties are yet to settle the issue.It is now played a spoilsport for Sindhubaadh. As a result, there is low-key promotion on its release. “National multiplexes in Chennai and Chengalpet refuse to slot @VijaySethuOffl biggie #Sindhubaadh in their Friday (June 21) programming chart till they get a green signal from Digital Service Providers (DSP). [sic]” leading industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai tweeted about the delay in the advance booking recently.There are strong rumours doing rounds that the movie has been delayed indefinitely.Vijay Sethupathi’s Sindhubaadh is an action thriller, written and directed by SU Arun Kumar. Anjali plays the female lead in the flick which has the music of Yuvan Shankar Raja, Vijay Karthik Kannan’s cinematography and Ruben’s editing.last_img read more

Read More →

Man killed in Jhalakati gunfight

first_imgSuspected member of a robber group was killed in an alleged gunfight with police at Birpasha village in Sadar upazila of Jhalakati early Tuesday.Identity of the deceased could not be known immediately.Police said they have recovered a one shutter gun from the spot.Three policemen were also reportedly injured in the incident.last_img

Read More →

Afghanistan Unrest 23 civilians killed

first_imgKabulAt least 23 civilians, including women and children, were killed by a US air strike in southern Afghanistan earlier this week, according to an UN investigation, as ordinary Afghans continue to bear the brunt of the 17-year conflict.”Initial findings indicate that the vast majority of the victims were women and children,” the UN mission in Afghanistan said in a report received by AFP late Thursday, adding that at least three people were also injured in the attack.The strike occurred during a firefight between Afghan special forces working with US advisors and Taliban insurgents late Tuesday in restive Helmand province.NATO said air support was requested by security forces on the ground as the militants deployed heavy weapons and retreated into a nearby compound.Provincial authorities had earlier said several members of a single family appeared to be killed in the strike, with one official saying “at least 18 civilians were killed”, which could not be confirmed.NATO has said it was investigating the incident.Haji Mohammad, who lived near where the incident occurred, said the strike came after the Taliban entered a home during a battle with security forces, saying it killed several civilians inside along with nine insurgents.Civilians continue to face “extreme levels of harm”, a recent UN report said, with 8,050 people killed or wounded in the January to September period this year.Violence has escalated in the past year as US and Afghan forces press ground and air offensives against Taliban and IS insurgents.The Taliban has also upped assaults on Afghan forces even as the United States increased efforts to engage the militants in peace talks.Washington is trying to find a way out of the conflict more than 17 years since it began.US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad is spearheading efforts to strike a peace deal with the Taliban before Afghanistan’s presidential election, scheduled for April next year though officials have said it could be postponed until July.A Taliban delegation met with Khalilzad in Doha in October and November to discuss ending the Afghan conflict. Khalilzad has said he is “cautiously optimistic” for an end to the conflict.last_img read more

Read More →

Fishermen protest at ban on fishing in Bay

first_imgBangladeshi fishermen stage a protest in Cox`s Bazar on 26 May, 2019, after the government imposed two-month long fishing ban on the Bay of Bengal. Photo: AFPHundreds of Bangladeshi fishermen staged a protest in the country’s south on Sunday, police said, after the government imposed an unprecedented two-month long fishing ban on the Bay of Bengal.Carrying placards and banners, the fishermen marched to Cox’s Bazar city from coastal villages days after the government’s 65-day long fishing embargo came into effect.”This is wrong. This is injustice. No other country in the world has ever imposed such a long ban,” said union leader Kolim Ullah through a loudhailer during the protest.Ullah said the ban has hit the livelihood of hundreds of thousands of people in Bangladesh’s coastal districts, home to about 20 million people, most of whom depend either directly or indirectly on fishing.”The embargo has especially hit the poor fishermen hard. They don’t know any other work,” he said.Bangladesh imposed the ban on fishing in the Bay of Bengal last week in an effort to replenish depleted stocks.The junior minister for fisheries, Ashraf Ali Khan, said the ban would run from May 20 to July 23, and that navy and coast guard vessels would patrol the bay to prevent boats from putting to sea.Bangladesh frequently slaps seasonal bans on fishing in deep seas and coastal rivers, but authorities said this was the longest-ever imposed for shallow waters near the coast. It covers all types of fishing boats.Ullah said the protesters submitted a memorandum to the administrator in Cox’s Bazar demanding the ban be shortened to one month and the government stop foreign fishing vessels from entering Bangladeshi waters.As part of compensation measures, the Bangladesh government has announced it will provide free rice for nearly half a million families of badly affected fishermen.But S.M. Nazrul, another union leader, said the aid is promised only for the registered fishermen, while “the number of unregistered fishermen is eight times more than the registered ones.”Fishermen have also threatened to march towards the capital Dhaka if the embargo is not shortened.”The ban is slapped on just before Eid,” said fisherman Mohammad Rafique, referring to the largest Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr. “How will we celebrate Eid when we don’t have a penny in the pocket?” .The ban has also hit Rohingya refugees, nearly a million of whom have fled a military crackdown in Myanmar and found shelter in squalid camps near Bangladesh’s Teknaf and Ukhia fishing towns.The refugees are not permitted to work outside the camps but thousands have secretly found work in the sea-going fishing trawlers owned by Bangladeshis.”Thousands of Rohingya work as crew members in a bid to find a better life. This ban would throw these Rohingya back on the streets,” Abdus Salam, a boat owner in Shamlapur fishing village, told AFP.Every year Bangladesh imposes a weeks-long ban on the fishing of Hilsa — a popular Herring-like staple — and has created six sanctuaries in its network of coastal rivers to allow spawning.The bans have boosted the Hilsa catch by more than 150 percent since 2004 and turned it into a $2 billion industry.last_img
Read More →

Congressional App Challenge for 8th Congressional District High School Students

first_imgThe Congressional App Challenge is now open for submissions from high school students in Maryland’s 8th Congressional District. Students can create and submit their own original apps for mobile phone, tablet, or computer platforms. Apps will be judged by a panel of local community leaders engaged in STEM fields, and winners will have their apps featured on a display in the U.S. Capitol building.The submission period is open until 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 15 and winners will be announced on Feb. 22. For more information go to congressionalappchallenge.us.last_img read more

Read More →